Improved Environmental and Climate Performance
- Waste management. 27000 dmt of sludge digestate (100% of total Vilnius sludge) and 1500 t of biomass ashes will be reused during the project.
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions (GHG). The project will reduce and absorb CO2 emission by 42000 tons.
Better use of natural resources
- Reduced resource consumption. The project will reuse 1350 t total N (including 135 t of mineral N), 675 t of total P (including 66 t of P2O5) and 60 t of K (including 15 t of K2O).
- Energy from Renewable Energy Sources. It is expected that 39400 MWh of biomass will be supplied from 300 ha of biomass plantations and converted into heating energy for Vilnius city.
- Circular economy. Full-scale closed-loop circular economy model for large cities nutrient recycling will be implemented and demonstrated.
- Policy recomendations. Policy and legislation recomendations to be developed
Sustainable land use, agriculture and forestry
Soil quality and degradation. The soil quality will be improved on 1800 ha area within the implementation of the project
- 900 ha of medium term woody biomass plantations established on marginal lands in 60 km radius around Vilnius.
- Sustainable forest management. 1800 ha of biomass plantations will be certified and managed under sustainable forestry management standards.